Darmstädter Architektursommer 2008 (englisch)
Positions and Visions
Design and Constructing in Darmstadt and its Twin Towns
On Friday the 27th of June 2008 in course of the “Summer of Architecture in Darmstadt” (Darmstaedter Architektursommer) the seminar “Designing and Constructing in Darmstadt and its Twin Towns” took place.
The chairman of the MAIV – Stadtrat Dipl.-Ing. Dieter Wenzel - welcomed our guests in the Darmstadtium, Darmstadt’s new science and congress centre. A very warm welcome was offered to the following representatives of nine Twin Towns.
Their presentations are the following:
- Alkmaar, Netherlands: Annelies and Ed Diepenmaat
- aus Brescia, Italy: Pierpaola Archini, Gianni Senco, Ruggero Frusca, Francesco Bocchio
- aus Bursa, Turkey: Ayla and Orhan Efe
- aus Chesterfield, England: Mike Hayden, Scott Nicholas
- aus Freiberg, Sachsen: Gabriele and Rainer Bruha
- aus Graz, Austria: Martin Krammer
- aus Liepaja, Latvia: Gunta Snipke
- aus Logrono, Spain: Ana Minguez Mendiola, Jesus Lopez Araquistain
- aus Trondheim, Norway: Helga Hole, Gunnar Houen
- aus Darmstadt, Dr. Harald Kissel from Darmstadt, who took the lead of the seminar.
- The Colleagues from Płock, Polen, were unfortunately absent, but the contribution Płock can still be viewed.
After lunch at the Centralstation the presentations and discussions were resumed in the afternoon. In the evening we enjoyed a festivity at the Karolinensaal (Caroline Hall) in the Haus der Geschichte (House of History). The evening was fulfilled with many inspiring conversations and we were all delighted by the lively music form our fellow Dipl.-Ing. Hans-Gerhard Knöll.
On Saturday the 28th of June our guests and their hosts were invited to an Architecture Walk on the axis Schlosss (Castle) and Mathildenhoehe. The meeting point was the Darmstadtium which was introduced by Prokurist Jürgen Müller. Afterwards a visitation of the extension of the Frauenhofer Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung took place. Dipl.-Ing. Dietmar Opitz from the office SHP-Architects presented the design. That followed the sightseeing of the new building of the Paediatric Clinic Princess Margaret. Dipl.-Ing. Angela Fritsch explained the planning and construction. After lunch break at the Klinkers Restaurant Dipl.-Ing. Peter Karle introduced the restoration of the listed Neuferthaus. Followed by the presentation of the Mathildenhöhe by Dipl.-Ing. Nikolaus Heiss, monument conservator of the city of Darmstadt.
The MAIV would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who contributed to the success of this remarkable event.